Thursday, October 15, 2009

LIVE IT OR WRITE ABOUT IT!

I realize that I haven't written since late August. Not that there hasn't been plenty to write about. Quite the contrary. There has been too much to write about. Too busy living life to write about it. I guess we make time for what is most important but of late between work and family there has been little time for much else. Since I write this for my own enjoyment I guess I shouldn't put such expectations on myself to write on a schedule. Not expecting things from, or behavior of, people is something I'm working on. A lesson I recently learned from a new friend.

I started this blog to help me keep track of our experiences and to share with our grandson, Emrick. Over the past couple of months we have made it to Bear Bottom several times and had the pleasure of spending time with good friends and family.

Over Labor Day weekend Susan's brothers and their families camped at Doughton Park campground on the BRP and we shared many good times both at the campground and at our place. Lots of great food and laughter. We hiked and sat around the campfire including a few hours spent around our latest addtion at Bear Bottom, a new fire pit.

Susan and I found some stones to get started and my brothers-in-law hauled in a few more to complete the circle. It was a real family affair and we all enjoyed the marshmellows roasted by Madison and Austin.

We've used the pit several times and are looking forward to many more.

We scheduled a week's vacation at Bear Bottom in mid-September but due to work issues and an ailing mother we had to break up the week. Susan had business that took her to Kentucky and I headed back home to handle some problems at work and to check on my mother who was hospitalized for a few days. (She is better now and improving daily.) At the end of that week we had the pleasure of being joined by our friends Franklin & Aliene and Bob & Debbie. Luckily our weekend coincided with Sparta's Mountain Heritage Festival on Saturday, September 19. The weather was gloomy but the festival was great. We were even able to fit in a hike to the waterfall on Waterfall Road. I can't believe we've had our place for nearly a year located less than three miles from the waterfall and haven't made the trek before now. The hike was pleasant and even though the weather was gloomy it was great sharing it with our friends.
The waterfall was certainly worth the hike. Can't wait to see it in the fall with the leaves changing.

Franklin took this photo. Left to right, that's me, Susan, Debbie, Bob, Aliene and Franklin.

Although it rained most of the weekend, we had a great time visiting and eating and sharing some great wines.

We missed a couple of weekends due to other commitments but made it back in time to see the fall leaves beginning to change. This is one of the reasons we bought our place in the valley. The surrounding views of the mountains and the peacful quiet. We had a wonderful time this past weekend when Jonathan, Bailey and Emrick came to stay with us. They brought their friends Derek and Rebecca who were delightful company.
We played games and hiked and enjoyed sitting by the fire. The boys were a great help with some projects around the place. They helped me finish the woodshed and even planted our new spruce tree.


















Emrick is growing and changing so fast. He is becoming quite the little man. Susan and I thouroughly enjoyed being grandparents this weekend, showing Emrick around on his first visit and can't wait until he can get out on his own with his Poppy and Grammy Sue and hike alongside us. Of course the kids are always welcome.
We'll be back this weekend to enjoy more of that great Allegheny County spirit. Maybe we'll see you there. The weatherman says it's going to be cold so the fire pit will probably be lit. Stop by and see us. Bring your marshmellows.

No comments:

Post a Comment